Cottage and Seasonal Homes Insurance in Ontario, Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Cottage and seasonal home insurance

Canada is home to some of the most beautiful natural scenes; it’s no wonder that many residents have a cottage or second home. It’s important to keep it protected just like you would your primary home. A seasonal insurance policy differs from basic House Insurance as it is designed to protect property inhabited for only part of the year.

At The Standard Insurance, our brokers work year-round to ensure you have the best coverage at the most affordable rate. We tailor Cottage Insurance packages based on your cottage type, additional insurance products, past claims, and budget.

What Does Your Cabin Insurance Cover?

While some homes are cabins, many cabins and cottages across the country act as vacation homes and others are offered as rentals. Whatever the case, Cottage Insurance is different from your standard Homeowners or Renters Insurance.

There are varying levels of coverage, with the most basic Seasonal Home Insurance protecting against fire, theft, vandalism, and liability. There are also extended coverage add-ons protecting against specified perils and other potential risks.

Base coverage protects the main structure of your cottage and contents, including:

Dwelling Coverage

Your Cottage Insurance is likely to include Dwelling Coverage which usually extends to outbuildings and attached structures. Whether your cabin has a garage, patio, or deck attached, you can rest assured you are financially protected if they need to be replaced or repaired.

Personal Contents Coverage

The belongings inside your cabin may change from season to season and be left behind after your vacation has ended. Protecting your furniture, appliances, and other belongings with Personal Contents Coverage is an important component of Seasonal Home Insurance.

Liability Coverage

As with most property insurance products, your Cottage Insurance comes with Liability Coverage. This part of your policy protects you against financial obligation if somebody is injured on your property.

Living Expense Coverage

If you are displaced from your cottage due to damages or renovations, a Living Expense Coverage add-on provides funding for new lodgings. This protects you from paying out-of-pocket for a hotel or cabin rental while your cottage is under repair.

Detached Structure Coverage

Sheds, garages, pool houses, docks, boat houses, and other property structures may be included in your coverage.

Optional Cottage Insurance Add-ons

No two cabin owners are the same which means you may want to add extended insurance to cover additional needs. The most common Cottage Rental Insurance options include:

Specified Perils Coverage

If there are individual types of protection you need based on the type of cabin you own or the location of your vacation home, you can name it in the Specified Perils coverage of your Seasonal Home Insurance policy. This keeps you and your dwelling protected against the specific risks outlined in the policy.

All Perils Coverage

If you want to keep all your bases covered in the event of a storm, fire, or vandalism, All Perils Coverage will protect your seasonal home and contents from all risks and damage except those excluded in the policy.

The Difference Between Cottage Insurance and Cottage Rental Insurance

If your cabin is being offered to others as a rental property when you aren’t using it, your cottage insurance type should be altered to fit this change. Living in your cabin on your own and allowing others to reside there fall into two different insurance categories.

If you rent your seasonal home, Cottage Rental Insurance is well worth the additional cost to protect your cottage from damage or theft while somebody else is lodging there.

Cottage Rental Insurance also offers the addition of loss of income protection. For example, if your seasonal home is damaged in a fire and is unavailable to rent, your policy may respond to cover your lost rental income.

Get a Cottage Insurance Quote Today

Are you among the many Canadians planning to enjoy the summer season at your home away from home? If your cabin is uninsured, or you are looking to change your policy to reflect your current lifestyle and usage of the property, we can help. Contact The Standard Insurance by calling 1-844-969-8199 today!

Cottage Insurance FAQs

The Standard Insurance manages Seasonal Home Insurance for Canadians across Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. With so many clients partnering with our brokerage, we receive many questions about Cottage Insurance products and how they work, including the following:

The Standard Insurance FAQs

If I rent my cottage to others only once in a while, do I still need Cottage Rental Insurance?

If I live in my cottage most of the year, do I need different insurance?

Can I get a discount on my Cottage Insurance if I have Home, Boat, and RV Insurance?

At The Standard Insurance, we pride ourselves for our long-lasting commitment to act as an advocate for every single one of our clients. Our success is measured by their experience and satisfaction:

I had a wonderful experience with Nicolle, I had some issues with my Insurance policy and Nicolle straightened them up immediately. THANKS AGAIN NICOLLE !


“Callie stepped up and provided a very professional service and responded to all our questions in a timely manner. We highly recommend Standard Insurance Brokers.”

Jim & Nicole D

“The agent, Celeste, was very prompt with her responses. She was able to source a favorable and economical premium compared to what I had. Very good service so far.

Oral & Pauline D

“The ladies that work here are great! So sweet and kind! Thank you for the A+ customer service”

Shelly J
Get in Touch for a Quote,
or Expert Advice on Best Coverage & Rates
Skip to content